Setting the Standard in Free Trade: The Making of the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP)
Directions: Read the case study and answer the following questions. These questions must be submitted electronically before class on October 10, 2017. You must also be present and take part in the class discussion to get full credit for this assignment. You should download this page and put your answers in under each question. Your answers should be typed, 12 point font, single space. You are limited to 5 typed pages.
1. Cases are meant to “tell a story”. Describe in a paragraph “what happened in this case.” (Note—this is not a discussion of the issues rather just a description of the actors and events occurring in the case). Use dates to anchor the story in time. Next list what you think are two of the bigger issues raised by the case that are worthy of discussion.
2. What was the hope for the TTIP? Why did individuals think completing an agreement would be such a great achievement for both sides? Give their evidence.
3. Pick three of the “difficult issue areas” described in the case. What were the barriers to reaching agreement? Were they political or economic?
4. What were some of the broader political and economic issues that impacted the negotiations of the TTIP?
5. How likely do you think the conclusion of new “mega” trade deals are? Why do you think so? Is this positive or negative for the global economy?