Pesticides are a common environmental concern due to the potential long-term effects of the chemicals and their metabolites on the immediate environment and ecosystem. For this assignment, research a common pesticide and write a three-page research paper that includes the following components:
- Identify the main active ingredient of the pesticide and how the pesticide is used.
- Identify and describe which of the four cornerstones of xenobiotic pharmacokinetics are affected in the way the pesticide works to kill the targeted organism.
- Identify the metabolites of the active ingredient of the pesticide, and discuss the toxicity and lifespan of the metabolites. Be sure to address the cornerstone processes associated with xenobiotic metabolism of the pesticide through the body.
- Provide your thoughts on whether or not this pesticide is safe for the overall ecosystem in the manner it is used and the resulting effects of its application as it breaks down into its metabolites. Can this biotransformation result in toxicity?
The assignment should be completed as a text document and should meet the following requirements:
- The discussion should include the four aspects of the assignment as outlined above.
- The paper should be at least three pages in length, not including the title or reference page. Use proper APA formatting for all citations and references.
- A minimum of three credible references should be used for this assignment, and the references should be properly cited in the text as well as in a reference list.