1. From your perspective, what makes you a skilled negotiator? Workplace negotiation. Both individuals with equal responsibility not working together but is causing the department from working as a team.
2. When the other person needs an opportunity to save face, how do you handle that?
a. Neutral question and answer.
b. Allowed each person to discuss their point of views.
c. Verified both person understanding of the others objective and responsibility to the team.
3. What unethical behavior have you personally witnessed during a negotiation?
I had a team of employees that was frustrated with their supervisor’s role in supporting another junior leader.
Supervisor/Immediate supervisor or Employee/ Employee with 30 years of experience on the job.
4. How do you handle negotiations with a person who utilizes unethical behavior? It is best to remain neutral, evaluation all the information, research the information given
by the complaint and accused. It is good practice to stay focus on the issues and not the person(s).
5. During a negotiation how do you keep from your emotions in check?
Ask if you can the concerns, issues of the other party. Then summarize what everyone said to make sure everyone understand what have been said. Then lay out the results of everyone action or consequence based on the rule of the organization.
6. Explain how you interact with someone who comes to the negotiation table with strong emotions?
Restate the issues over so everyone can understand clearly each view point.
7. When you are in a negotiation that has an uneven playing field, in what ways do you try to balance the power?
I always allow parties room to back of their positions, issue and the opportunity to acknowledge their mistake(s). Additionally make sure the other parties understand the importance of accepting an apology.
8. Which strategy do you utilize the most while negotiating?
I spend the time to build rapport and uncover the interest, and base cause of the issues.
What surprised you?
Unethical workplace behaviors occur everyday. It is almost like a common thing.
2. What did you learn?
There are many programs that are implemented to help.
3. How will you use this information to become a skilled negotiator?
I have a better understanding of how to deal with people and keep my emotions together.