On p. 209, Schmid argues that one of the ways we can stop audiences from identifying with serial killers is to use their abused or abnormal childhood to separate them from our own experiences. How does this work in Perfume? Relate the material in Schmid’s chapter to the film/novel we viewed in this unit?
Unit 5: Perfume (Reading)
6363 unread replies.6363 replies.
Please choose one of the following questions to answer for this unit
Before answering this unit’s questions, you should read “The Unbearable Straightness of Violence: Queering Serial Murder in True Crime,” p. 209 in Natural Born Celebrities.
Keep in mind, as you read, a few of the questions posted below.
Online discussions will be graded according to the following rubric.
Full-bodied entries—of at least ten sentences of writing from you (in addition to quotations from the text)—are more likely to receive full credit. Lesser credit will be assigned to work that is missing, brief, or clearly disengaged or sloppily produced such that miscues interfere with readability.
Your responses to other students’ work are also assessed. Students often resist commenting on each others’ work in substantial ways; instead choosing to post simply “good job” or “looks okay to me.” This kind of peer response doesn’t help your own—or your peers’—development as a writer and thinker.
Acceptable peer responses will, among other things:
- Explicitly identify what was learned from someone else’s work.
- Ask a follow-up question.
- Offer an alternative interpretation.
- Offer concrete strategies for improvement.
|18-20||Discussion posts are completed on-time; they not only thoughtfully respond to and incorporate course readings when appropriate, but they evidence creative thinking and make a significant contribution to peers’ understanding of the course topics. Moreover, follow-up posts/peer responses clarify and extend the class conversation, demonstrating critical thinking.|
|16-17||Discussion posts are essentially complete and incorporate, when appropriate, excerpts from the course readings. Initial post is made by due date, and follow-up posts/peer responses engage others in continued discussion.|
|11-15||Discussion posts are incomplete, inaccurate, and/or late. Peer response is present but perfunctory, offering little “back” to enhance peers’ understanding.|
|1-10||Posts and peer responses are not made to all topic threads.|
|0||No posts are made, or posts are entered after the unit’s discussion has ended.|
Questions (Natural Born Celebrities)
Choose one questions:
- On p. 209, Schmid argues that one of the ways we can stop audiences from identifying with serial killers is to use their abused or abnormal childhood to separate them from our own experiences. How does this work in Perfume? Relate the material in Schmid’s chapter to the film/novel we viewed in this unit?
- On p. 221, Schmid suggests that most novels/films portray the killers as sexual deviants, but they do so in a way that implies that serial killers are somehow “not normal” in their appetites. This quickly leads to questions of homosexuality or bisexuality as easy targets. If the killers are heterosexual, their sexuality is never mentioned. How does this argument play out in Perfume?
- Throughout this complex chapter, Schmid argues that often the murderers portray a fear or hatred of women as motive for their killing. How does Perfume alter or complicate Schmid’s argument?
We've got everything to become your favourite writing service
Money back guarantee
Your money is safe. Even if we fail to satisfy your expectations, you can always request a refund and get your money back.
We don’t share your private information with anyone. What happens on our website stays on our website.
Our service is legit
We provide you with a sample paper on the topic you need, and this kind of academic assistance is perfectly legitimate.
Get a plagiarism-free paper
We check every paper with our plagiarism-detection software, so you get a unique paper written for your particular purposes.
We can help with urgent tasks
Need a paper tomorrow? We can write it even while you’re sleeping. Place an order now and get your paper in 8 hours.
Pay a fair price
Our prices depend on urgency. If you want a cheap essay, place your order in advance. Our prices start from $11 per page.