The Playboy of Seville…As we read the play individually and as a class you should reflect on the questions given below and use them to provide yourself with an outline for the required paper. This paper will focus on human nature and may allude to and have reflections upon the current climate of Sexual Harassment in Hollywood and elsewhere.
1. What kind of person enjoys depriving a woman of her honor (virginity)?
2. Why is stealing her self image somehow sweeter when the woman involved is about to be married?
3. Why is the ploy sweeter still if he promises to be her husband afterward?
4. Is there then a certain irony associated with the fact that Don Juan is supposed to be married near the end of the play?
5. Do some men chase after women to prove to themselves that they are actually men after all?
6. Do you have friends who fit into this pattern?
(Be sure to cite examples from your reading of the play.)
7. Which character did you find repulsive, repugnant or both?
8. Which character did you admire or at the very least feel empathy toward by the end of the play?
9. Does this play have something to contribute to the current debate over sexual harassment in America?
You should submit it to the text box.
The paper should be 2000 words in length. It can be longer. References to the play and other sources should be cited properly.