Read the Study Questions “Modern Art Midterm” to get an idea of the homework. this folder will give you an explanation of how to answer the questions. read the articles attached. then, answer the five questions below:
1. Describe how the concept of the sublime in Charles Baudelaire’s “The Painter of Modern Life” relates to realism/impressionism in early modern painting. What role does the metaphor of “the child” play in his theories on realism?
2. Explain what Hermann Bahr means when he writes about the concept of “seeing” in his essay “Expressionism.” How does he use Impressionism to strengthen his argument for expressionistic painting?
3. Describe how simultaneity is conveyed in both Cubist and Futurist painting. How does the depiction of time differ between the two art movements?
4. Using the theories of composition by Piet Mondrian, explain why painting must purify itself into a purely abstract form.
5. What does Clement Greenberg mean when he writes “the imitation of imitating,” and how does this phrase relate to abstract paintings of the avant-garde?
Each question should be answered individualy in a short Comprehensive Essay format. that includes:
(I.) references to the readings (quotations or comprehensive use of paraphrasing are best), (II.) explanations of any reading references, and (III.) examples of artworks used in discussion. In reference to this third category, you should provide the titles of artworks and describe details in these examples that bear out the theory in the readings.