#1 Practice Paragraph. Read Melissa Unbankes’s “The King and I” on pages 132- 137 of The Norton Sampler. In this short narrative, the author, Melissa Unbankes, describes her grandmother and tells how their relationship changed over time. After reading the story, write a paragraph about a friend or family member, considering the following:
- What does the person do? Does the person have a job or career, or is his/her focus on taking care of family?
- What is something the person is passionate about?
- What is a place you associate with that person?
- What is one annoying or unusual trait about that person?
- What does that person mean to you?
Now, write the paragraph. Be sure you start with a topic sentence, which is a general statement that introduces the person to the audience.
#2 Practice paragraph
Choose one of the three photos below and write a paragraph that describes a significant moment in time or event that the photo may represent to the fictional person.
Follow this pattern to compose your paragraph:
1st sentence (topic sentence): A general statement about an important human trait.
- Examples of topic sentences:
- One of the remarkable characteristics of a baby is resilience.
- Whenever sorrow comes, it comes at the wrong time.
- Winning isn’t everything, but it is still nice.
2nd sentence: a statement about the person in the photo
3rd sentence: a statement about the moment captured
4th sentence: a statement about what the person did
5th sentence: a resolving statement
6th sentence: revisit the opening (topic sentence) and repeat in different words (add more perspective)
Review your work from the Week One Narrative Essay Worksheet and write an introductory paragraph that is 5 -7 sentences long. In the first sentence, you want to grab the reader’s attention. The last sentence should address the main idea of the story. You do not have to tell the whole story; just provide enough information so that the audience has a feeling of where the story is going.
To submit this assignment, write all three paragraphs on one Microsoft Word file. Title each paragraph using the numeric designation (Paragraph # 1. Paragraph # 2. , Paragraph # 3.) You may title them with a name as well. Submit them by clicking on the title Week 2 Writing Assignment: Paragraphs above and attach your Microsoft Word document file.